Friday 12 October 2012

A small change but a big result


In a previous blog I mentioned, really as a throw away line, that a small change in a business plan can sometimes make a huge change to the end result.

I am mentioning this because I’ve just seen such a thing happen.

I, along with my partner, produce a website called www.positivehealth.com. It was originally a printed magazine and published 150 issues but in 2008 with the downturn in advertising and magazine sales we turned it into a web site only and will be publishing issue 200 this month.

Last month – September 2012 - I redesigned the Index page and made it more of a call for action as opposed to an information page. The site is not commercial in that we don’t sell products but do have over 3,000 articles commissioned during the past almost 20 years. It is an information site with paid-for advertising.

The new page was implemented in September and our page views for the month shot up to almost 1.2 million views; up from 540,000 the previous month. Advert click-throughs in the launch week topped 10,000 up from 4,700 clicks the week before. What an astonishing turn-round for us! Page views have remained high since the launch at around 250,000 a week. Ad clicks have dropped but remain in excess of 5,000 a week.

The problem for me now is how to get visitors and content for MyBestFive. I know how to do it but lack the funds to put it all in place. So it’s going to be the long haul, I guess. I believe we have a site with huge potential and would ask those of you, who read this, to Register and then to write content.

I have written quite a lot of content on the site and because I’m quite long in the tooth I have not forgotten stuff that happened some decades ago but sometimes the details get a bit mixed up. However, when I re-read some of it I get memories that come back and I can then re-write a more accurate version. That’s what happens with age! Don’t wait for that to happen to you; write it down, now, then it will never be forgotten.


No comments:

Post a Comment