Thursday 6 September 2012

I have been wanting to buy a tablet for some time now. I would like an iPad from Apple, the trouble is, I don't like Apple as a company!

These feeling go back to the beginning of the company. In the 1980s I owned and ran a substantial typesetting company in London. We used the old typesetting kit from Linotype and it was the bees knees at the time.

A man from somewhere came along with a new thing called an Apple Mac; a horrible looking box with a screen on the top half. I tried it for a couple of weeks and decided that we would keep to the Linotype. A couple of years later we did buy Apple computers when they came out with proper screens and separate keyboard. We used Linotype then as a back-end only. For booksetting and everything else we used Microsoft.

There was never a doubt that Apple are innovative and produce the most beautiful looking products that also work very well. They produce the goods almost every time. The trouble has always been that they are a closed shop and control freaks!

Just a few days ago we learn from Bruce Willis the actor that he does not own the £40,000 of music downloads he has paid for. Apple won't even let go of that. They have always been the same and are not likely to change. They want total control of everything they do.

The question then for me is whether or not to switch over to Apple rather than buy an Android tablet. With new products coming out this month it is just as well to wait and see what happens; but it's unlikely that I will give way to the Apple product even though my heart tells me I want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment